What Makes Time Travel Fascinating?

blog_timetravelfascination

My grandmother was born four days after the turn of the 20th Century and grew up in a very upper middle-class Victorian household. I loved to hear stories about her life, but there were often those moments of horror when my world view clashed with hers. For instance, she told me with much pride that no one could tell she was pregnant with my father until she reached her ninth month because she wore a corset and took diuretics to stay thin. According to the Victorian mind-set pregnancy, even in wedlock, was unmentionable because it was caused by… well, you know… marital intimacies.

I think those striking moments of dissonance are what make the idea of time travel so fascinating to us. We love to explore what is unusual. When we go on holidays, hear someone reminiscing about their life, or pick up a book about someone/somewhere/somewhen else, we get to explore worlds and world views that are different from our own.

Every time we read about the past or the future we are in a way time travelling in our imagination to those places. And just like tourists in a foreign land we bring our customs and mind-sets with us, and they often jar with what we discover in new places. This is what makes time-travel a wonderfully unique genre: the reader gets to consider and explore these differences as the characters are doing so.

Understanding how people think and see the world has been a life-long study of mine. Along the way I’ve discovered I’m good at stepping outside my own world-view and seeing through other people’s eyes. I’ve used that ability with male prison in-mates, street-kids and those with mental health issues.

I’ve also used that skill in my writing, to get inside the heads of imaginary people from the past and future, to see the world as they would. Whether it’s seeing the present world through the eyes of a man from a post-apocalyptic future, or seeing gladiatorial combat in Imperial Rome through the eyes of a modern woman, it’s endlessly fascinating to me.

And it’s what has me reading historical and time travel romances by other authors, many of whom are here on this blog with me. Because, the bottom line is, we may only have one life to live, (although that’s contentious), but when we read we can vicariously live and enjoy so many more.

Yet no matter where in time and space we go, along with the differences we experience there are also core human needs we can always relate to. For those addicted to Romance, like me, love is one need that crosses all boundaries, and its expression is endlessly diverse and engrossing. It’s the key ingredient a novel must have to keep me coming back for more.

To continue our launch celebration, we’re giving away:

• (1) eBook of New Atlantis Time Travel Romance Bundle, Books 1-3 by Nhys Glover (Int’l)

To win, comment below with the answer to this question: What keeps you coming back for more time travel romance?

We will pick the winner tomorrow!

Nhys Glover

Award winning, best selling Aussie Romance Writer, Nhys Glover, has lived a full and interesting life. Now she lives in the gorgeous Yorkshire Dales as a happy recluse reading, writing (more than 30 books) and connecting with her readers around the globe via the internet.

Latest posts by Nhys Glover (see all)

Spread the love

Nhys Glover

24 thoughts on “What Makes Time Travel Fascinating?

• May 11, 2016 at 9:24 am

I come back for more for the adventure ! Makes me question myself sometimes too. Opens my mind to different ideas!!!

• May 11, 2016 at 10:19 am

Discovering the different eras, especially when they explore political movements’ effects on the Little People. That’s what I love to explore in my writing as well! margaret@taste-life-twice.com

• May 11, 2016 at 10:48 am

I love time travel for some of the same reasons, fascinating to see how people lived in a different time. And I especially like the interactions of the person traveling through time with other people. Some are able to adapt quite easily! And some are not….

• May 12, 2016 at 2:52 am

Beth, you won the Box Set prize. If you email me directly at infoatnhysgloverdotcom I’ll send you the ebook compilation. Congrats and I hope you enjoy the books. xx Nhys

• May 11, 2016 at 11:41 am

I think it’s because it answers the question “how would anyone survive”? And it gives us so many possibilities!

• May 11, 2016 at 11:53 am

Escape from the present.

• May 11, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Nhys, brilliant, simply brilliant! I had never put real life to time travel thoughts. The part about bringing, “…our customs and mind-sets…” is like the third dimension to the time travel story.
    In real life we will always adhere to our personal belief system. As you call it, our customs and mind-sets. What about crossing cultures? Do you ever time travel into those challenging situations? ?

• May 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Crossing cultures is part of the journey in time travel because even when you stick with Western culture, in the past and the future it is not the same culture as it is today. It can’t be. But I have touched on Middle Eastern culture in ancient times and the middle-ages in several of my books and on Native American culture too. I want to visit China’s very rich heritage in my New Atlantis series one day soon. I’m not sure I could do it justice though.

• May 11, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I think I love it because history was never good subject for me, it was hard to follow and understand, but when I read history in story form all of a sudden it’s real and alive and I can remember! I have learned more about historical events from novelsthan I can remember from all my years of history class…

I also love to think about what my life would be like if I had lived then, what would I have done for fun, what would my family be like, what rules of society would have given me more or less freedom…

• May 11, 2016 at 2:10 pm

History has to come alive for it to be memorable, and unfortunately the history taught in schools is rarely from a personal perspective. So yes, you can learn a lot more about history from novels I think, as long as the author has done his or her research.

• May 11, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I adore time travel stories because the romantic idea that different times in history seem more exciting; it is a cliché that the grass was greener. Although I fully know it is not the case, the high ideals I place on people and circumstances seem to be easier attained in other times- in my imagination (especially with the help of a good book) 🙂

• May 11, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I love history, it’s fun to imagine what it would have been like. I also love imagining what the future will be like?

• May 11, 2016 at 2:07 pm

I already know what trying to find love in the present is like. I love seeing how people (albeit fictional ones) find love in another time with different customs and cultures. It’s kind of an adventure!

• May 11, 2016 at 3:28 pm

What makes come back for more Time travel? Usually the author. The writing is so well done and I can imagine myself in the heroines place.

• May 11, 2016 at 3:39 pm

I like reading how people from the present go to a different time and learn to live that way. If he or she goes back in time, he or she can change “history” even if it is fictional history. Or if it is factual history, then he or she is the cause of a major event. I also enjoy reading about people going to the future and see what life may be like then.

• May 11, 2016 at 10:29 pm

I believe my true love has to reside in another time. That is why I haven’t found him yet.

• May 12, 2016 at 12:46 am

History and Romance was never “my thing” until I read one of your books Nhys. But the way you write about times past is absolutely amazing; you truly bring the past alive. When I closed my eyes I could SEE the dust rising around the gladiators in the arena in Ancient Rome. And I learnt so much more than I had ever done from history books, even the little things like the old coin, an ass – so not the donkey I thought you were talking about. History is good as long as the facts are right and it’s believable. But when you add romance to the mix, it really brings history to a personal level, after all, we have all loved something or someone at some stage of our life and can relate to emotions evoked on an individual basis. For me, personally, history and romance are as necessary a combination as the good old Aussie meat pies and tomato sauce.

• May 12, 2016 at 12:47 am

Fascination, what it would be like for me to time travel and what it would do for me. Could I make a positive change and have an adventure that I would enjoy and not regret.

• May 12, 2016 at 9:28 am

That sounds like life in general. But I think I get what you mean. Knowing what we do about the future we are perfectly placed to make a positive change to the past.

• May 12, 2016 at 2:54 am

The winner of the Comments draw was Beth Prescott! Well done and thank you everyone for your great comments. They were very thought-provoking and insightful.

• May 12, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I think you are right. It is like looking into a different world and knowing it is a part of who you are. Similar to you, my grandmother was born in 1896, but she was born in Russia. Just as you found, there is a world of difference, but it colors who we are now. I think we relate strongly with time travel for that reason, it helps us understand who we are now while giving color and life to the past.

• May 13, 2016 at 1:35 am

Wow, Russia at the turn of the century. I bet her stories were amazing! And yes, I do think its like looking into a part of yourself. A bit like reading diaries you wrote when much younger.

• June 17, 2016 at 9:21 am

The love story brings me wanting more. How two diffrent people should be together no matter what the problemis and where they come from . Oh and that wonderful love they grow to have……